As an active member of the construction community, H E Barnes has noted the importance of social value and added value in our projects.
Over the past 5 years, we have contributed over £17,000 to local charities and community projects; along with countless hours of volunteer time and knowledge shared with young people in schools and colleges across the region. The opportunities awarded to H E Barnes have generated training and job vacancies in the Yorkshire and Humberside area, with 10% of our workforce comprising of Apprentices from the surrounding community to ensure we involve local people and suppliers in the delivery of projects wherever we can. We are justifiably proud of our contributions and continue to support local causes close to the hearts of our team and the local community.
H E Barnes has strong sense of local heritage and family values, it’s vitally important that we give something back to the communities that have supported us over the past 95 years and contributed to making us the business we are today.
That’s why we actively engage with community initiatives and continually fundraise for important local charities. Giving a few notable examples, we’ve achieved the following through our programme of corporate and social responsibility:
- Overall, we have raised over £17,000 for local charities in the last five years.
- Sponsored a rally car entry for the Henry Boot Team to combat youth homelessness in South Yorkshire
- A Raffle for Sheffield Children’s Hospital
- Donation and installation of Christmas Lights to the town of Barnsley
- Donation to a sponsored ramble for Dronfield 6th Beaver Scouts
- Funds given to Barnsley Arts and Civic Council for the restoration of the civic centre
- Macmillan Coffee Mornings each year and various sponsored races/cycling events for Cancer Research
- Working with grassroots football teams across South Yorkshire and Derbyshire with kit sponsorship or teams’ own funds to buy equipment in order for more young people to engage in sport.
- Sponsorship of a Christmas Star for Sheffield Children’s Hospital
- Access to 300 tickets at Sheffield United Football Club to dispense to local schools, charities, football teams and youth groups. So far this season, we have invited and confirmed visits to SUFC for Dronfield Town FC, Ecclesall Rangers FC, Double Six Youth Club and Holt House School. There are also frequent donations of signed memorabilia and tickets to good causes on request for charity raffles or auctions.
“Caring for the world around us, our neighbours, our environment and of course our own workforce is pivotal to the success of our business,”
Dave Warren, Health & Safety Manager, H. E. Barnes